Sudan

Sudan: Bombing Blocks Access to New Refugees

20 February 2008 (Posted to the web 20 February 2008)

Dakar

The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) is warning that its teams in eastern Chad that have been providing assistance to 10,000 newly arrived refugees from Sudan's West Darfur region have been forced to withdraw because of aerial bombing across the border, close to where the refugees are located.

"Aerial bombing overnight and this morning in West Darfur, Sudan, close to the border with Chad, has forced UNHCR to withdraw its team caring for newly arrived refugees in the Birak area away from the insecure border," UNHCR spokesperson Jennifer Pagonis said in a statement on 19 February.

Read more on all.Africa.com.

Images of Darfur by Jon Nicholson

Take Action


On Valentine's Day last week, my brother was sent to Sudan as part of the UN Peace Mission. When I called him on the day that he was leaving, he didnt know yet where in Sudan he was going to be posted but he is going to be there for a year. I still remember when my mom told me about it last month, I think my heart stops beating for a few second. Im sure as hard as it is for me, it has to be harder for the wife with 3 toddlers and 1 infant.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...